Bodice Sloper Complete...I think

I decided before making the skirt sloper pattern, I should finish fitting the bodice sloper. The point of learning to make patterns is learning to do it right. So I revisited the sloper as is and realized the front darts extend a full 1 1/2” above the bust apex.

I determined step one in finishing the fitting was fixing the darts so they end at the apex, where the should, rather than up and over, heading toward the shoulders. So I marked the apex of the bust, pulled out the existing darts, and redrew the darts, connecting the legs at the waist to the NEW apex.

True the dart

True the dart

The solid red line is the new leg of the dart, the dotted orange line is the original dart leg. I stitched both darts and re-draped the sloper on the dummy.

Fits much better now

Fits much better now

And just like that, the shoulder’s are no longer too short, the armscye’s fit better, neck is snug but not tight, and I no longer need to slash and lap from the dart to the shoulder line. So before doing complicated adjustments, start simple. I’ve been dragging my feet about these corrections, and in the end, there was nothing to it.